Wednesday, March 3, 2010

Begin with the end in mind

First off, thank you so much for the incredibly warm welcome back. I wish I could thank each of you personally, and honestly, since there were only a dozen comments I probably could, but I don't want to set that kind of precedent. What if I hit the big time? It would be like the blogging equivalent of driving you all to the airport. (1) Begin with the end in mind, I always say. (2)

But seriously, thank you. You all were way too kind. (3) Had I known, I would have stopped blogging years ago.

Blogging after a hiatus presents unique challenges. So much happened during my unfortunate incarceration that it's hard to decide what to write about first. We weathered three blizzards. I had a mammogram with a suspicious, but ultimately benign, mass. There were enough earthquakes to make us wonder about the end of days. My kids took TEN snow days, making the end of days look like a pipe dream (4)

Of course, there were good times too. A family vacation in Mexico. A coaster bonanza in Orlando. Eli turned five. We snuggled with a newborn foster baby and hung out with an about-to-be adopted teenager.

But one image stands out from all others. One life-changing, brief glimpse of something that makes one wonder: What is it all about, this thing called life?



Although in this case, it's meat on a stick in a box.

Let me know where to pick up my Pulitzer.


1) For the record, I do occasionally drive PCSguy to the airport. But I charge him $30. Hey! Gas ain't free!
2) I do too always say it, I've already said it twice in this very entry. Exception: Blogging. I usually just sit down and type until I get bored. (I have no clue where I'm going with this entry. Hell, I have no clue where this footnote is headed!)
3)Even Kelly who called me a biatch.

4) FYI: If I were to rank these in terms of disturbance factor, I'd go with (from least to most upsetting) mass, blizzards, earthquakes, snow days.

8 comments:

The Zadge said...

The "and so much more" on that Meat in a Box sign sort of scares me.

Cindy said...

Totally missed your blog posts! And, hey, I'm going to try Meat in a Box one of these days, it's right around the corner from me.

First Time Dad said...

Where is this place? I will definitely plan a visit with the family in tow next time we are in NoVA

Alicia said...

Hey girl...looks like I'm just in time to enjoy your comeback since I finally figured out how to follow a blog! BTW, I have TP on my "days until" in App Box Pro. Come see my new blog at http://mermaidden.blogspot.com

babbler said...

If you like Meat in a box, you will most certainly like Slug on a plate! Feel free to go over to Slugs Rest and check it out, I kid you not, I am offering you an actual Slug on a plate, with the proper garnish, for color ind interest. With love, Mrs. Slug http://babbler-slimyslugfriends.blogspot.com

babbler said...

By the way, I have decided to follow this obviously awesome blog! You rock. Love Mrs. Slug

Stimey said...

Oh no, a mass. I'm so glad it was benign. So scary. Glad you're back.

Kelley @ magnetoboldtoo said...

So glad that the mass ended up being benign. Even though you spelled my name wrong.

Biatch