Tuesday, March 9, 2010

Special

As far as I'm concerned, there are basically two categories of notes that kids bring home from school. The first informs you of a classroom lice infestation (1) and the second warns of an impending award ceremony. In my house, both kinds of notes are viewed with equal terror.

Maybe it's ADHD in me, but sitting through any kind of school assembly bores me to tears. (2) There's just not enough drama. (3) If I were the principal, I'd totally arrange for someone to propose or get a Harley delivered during the event de jour. Now that's entertainment.

So last week when Jake brought home a notice about a ceremony for Reflections winners, it was headed straight to the recycling bin. (3.5) Then I noticed a small handwritten note on the bottom.

"Jake will be receiving a special award."

Like I'm falling for that. Not my first rodeo, nice PTA volunteer. If I were to ever redesign my blog, my tag line would be "avoiding all school functions since 1998." I sent the nice PTA volunteer an email:

"We're so proud of Jake and excited for him to receive his award. Unfortunately, we have some other commitments for that afternoon. (4) Before we rearrange our plans, can you please specify if Jake has won a special award or a "special award?" Thanks so much.

Within a few minutes we had received the following response:


"Jake will be receiving a special award."

I'm pretty sure she's playing with my head because NOBODY is that dense.

Because even more than the boredom factor, I object to the whole pretend award aspect. I'm cool with giving the kid who showed up at every swim meet but never scored any points a little trophy. But back in 2005 when we went on a Disney cruise, Jake got a diploma for "graduating" cruise ship camp.

Hence my suspicion of "special awards."


Thanks to BillyBear4Kids pretty much anyone can be special.
Although in this case, "special" refers to the upside-down monkey

I asked Jake how important my attendance was to him. He explained that he knew that he hadn't won a first, second or third place award as those had already been announced. But maybe like in Toddlers and Tiaras (5), he was excluded from those because he was being pulled for a higher award. You know, like Grand Poem Supreme. Also there was going to be cake. So I went.

Of the 53 kids who entered this year's reflections contest in Jake's school: 8 first places, 12 second places, 9 third places, 23 honorable mentions.

And one special award.



We still aren't entirely sure what this award signifies but I suspect it's
PTA code for "trick that poor kid's mother into showing up."


1) Lice notes will be covered in an upcoming blog post, and integrated so craftily that you'll say "Oh THAT'S where she was going with it." Or not. I'm unpredictable that way.
2) And I do mean
any kind. I sat out a large portion of my own law school graduation.
3) Exception: any ceremony involving Noa contains
plenty of drama.
3.5) I may be a crappy mother but at least I recycle.
4) Not a lie! On this particular Friday, I had both the season finale of Real Housewives of Orange County and the season premiere of Real Housewives of New York on tivo.

5) Ahh Toddlers and Tiaras. Offensive and creepy, but entertaining.

15 comments:

Q-Tip said...

You have made my morning!!!

Stephanie Meade Gresham said...

I can't believe you CAVED! Did you have to sit indian style on the floor somewhere or eat those round flower shaped butter cookies with the hole in the middle?

Ugh. FOR SHAMMEE!

Keyona said...

You were totally tricked! :)

262mom said...

How timely, I did this last night. If it hadn't been monsooning, I could have brushed my teeth with a bottle of Jack and finished the rest before leaving for the night and walked - but I had to drive so had to sit thru it sober. 55 minutes of my life...

Chandana said...

Hi,

nice blog...

now, its time, to read through some words of heavenly wisdom.. and walk with our LORD.. :-)

You will surely be blessed:

http://www.holyoneofisrael-reconciliation.blogspot.com

Give a reading....

God bless you.

The Zadge said...

Oh,as soon as you said there was cake, I knew you were going.

heather said...

seriously? a "special award"? sounds like a trick to me!! of course, they would have had me at "cake." although...the housewives do tend to rate high in my world too!

Anonymous said...

Hm hm.. that's interessting but frankly i have a hard time determining it... wonder how others think about this..

vuboq said...

Hi,

nice blog...

now, it's time, to read through some words of heavenly wisdom.. and walk with our VUBOQ. :-)

You will surely be blessed:

http://vuboq.blogspot.com

*smooches*

Kelley @ magnetoboldtoo said...

Kinda like our Easter raffle.

FORTY EIGHT BASKETS TO WIN!

Does my freaking head in.

Cindy said...

UGH!! I HATE Reflections, and I'm so glad my kids have finally stopped participating in it! Every year I've had to go to those damned things! And I have no idea what goes through the minds of the "judges" because my kids have mainly won when they've put in almost no effort into the thing.

The straw that broke my daughter's back was when she worked her butt off to make a video one year, and even though she was the first place winner (and there were only two other entries in the category), they didn't even show her video at the ceremony!!

Me Just Me said...

OMG I just found your blog by accident and love it! I am usually so glad I work during the day and day works nights cuz I so get to use that as my excuse! HA HA HA


check out my suburban banter at www.lovelorn-n-torn.blogspot.com

Me Just Me said...

forgot... totally agree about TandT's kinda like Hoarders you can't look away

PishPosh71 said...

I was poking around this place when I found your blog. I found your sense of humor much like mine and had a laugh at the Special award!!
Blogging is a wonderful way to let it all out isn't it?

Nanny Goats In Panties said...

If there were any reasons I'm thankful for not having children, it's the fact that I don't have to attend awards ceremonies of any kind.

So did you feel duped after all that?