Sunday, March 22, 2009

To my son on his eleventh birthday (2 days late)

Dear Jake:

So it finally happened. You don't want me bringing cupcakes to your class today at lunch for your birthday.

Fine. Be that way. I don't care.

Except I do. And you know why it makes me so sad? Because I never expected it from you. Eli, maybe. Noa, for sure. But we have a special relationship, one forged from your early 2 1/2 years of being an only child. Other than a couple of neighbors, I didn't have any other friends with kids then; it was all you and me, my all-day, every-day buddy.

You're the kid who at 4 invented the secret handshake that means "I love you." The one we still use. The kid who will spend hours with me at the library. The kid who inherited my sense of humor.


Like that month and a half that we mocked your father for the way he holds a knife

Yes, I know you're a big guy now, almost a teenager. I see that when you eat a turkey sandwich minutes before dinner and when I'm able to wear your winter coat to shovel snow. (1) When you roll your eyes at my inability to recall the quadratic equation on my first try or find Mali on a map. (2)

But no matter how big you think you are, you will always be my first baby. Happy Birthday. I love you.

1) Why am I still shoveling snow when I own an eleven year?
2) Joke's on you. At almost 40, I've needed neither of these facts.

14 comments:

Beth said...

So sweet! I love being the mother of boys. And I have one who shares my sense of humor and that extra closeness it brings. They grow up so fast!

Happy Birthday to your son!

for a different kind of girl said...

Happy birthday to your 11 year old! My own 11 year old boy is zeroing in quickly on 12 unless I can find a way between now and August to end that plan, but since I paid such little attention in school, I am not aware of any scientific formulas that may allow this. Additionally, I ask, there's a place called Mali on the map?

Stimey said...

I'm sorry, but I absolutely cannot fathom having an 11-year-old. Cannot. Will not. Oh, dear lord, it's not that far away...

{sue} said...

Awwww! (Does Mr PCSGuy really hold KNIVES that way?) My oldest turns 11 tomorrow - can I just link to this? I haven't written anything.

EXCEPT DARNIT, he still wants CUPCAKES, so that's what I have to go do now.

Happy Birthday, Jake!

country mouse said...

Exactly what Beth said : ) There is that special closeness with the firstborn, isn't there?

Happy birthday to your guy!

Anonymous said...

Happy birthday Jake!
My eldest is 13.
Enough said.

Ann Imig said...

That is a great photo. I love your sense of humor "Why am I shoveling when I own an 11 year old" I better follow you before blogger tells me I can't follow anymore people. xo

the mama bird diaries said...

you have an "i love you" handshake. That is too sweet.

dpaste said...

Sigh, they grow up so fast. He looks like quite the handsome fellow. Watch out or you will be fondly remembering the days when all that you missed was bringing cupcakes to his class.

I knew the jig was up when my nephews became too heavy to hoist on my shoulders.

Jackie said...

My oldest is 13 and a girl. That should be enough right there.... oh, but wait! I have a 9yr old and a 7yr old as well. Also, girls. And they all want cupcakes. But, I'm not as cool as I used to be to them. Except for the 7yr old... I always will be to her!

Marinka said...

Oh god, this is so heartbreaking. I'm referring to the fact that your 11 year old doesn't know that he should lie to you and then roll his eyes behind your back the whole time that you're bringing cupcakes to his class. Kids today!

The Robinson Family said...

That was so sweet!!!! Made me tear up. My big boy will be 4 in a few weeks and reading this made me see how short childhood really is.....now I have to get working on a handshake....

Fairlington Blade said...

Thank you for making me appreciate my three year old boys even more. Love and kisses.

Paul

Anonymous said...

You have really great taste on catch article titles, even when you are not interested in this topic you push to read it