Sunday, February 3, 2008

And on the seventh day, they ate more ham

Last weekend, PCSguy & I double-dated with my dear friend Tracy and her husband Colin at my favorite restaurant. Tracy mentioned that she had described my blog to her friend as "being totally about nothing." I was so offended, I cover tons of important topics. I have no clue what she's talking about.

Oh my gosh, you guys, I got the best deal on a ham last week.

The best part was that I wasn't even in the market for a ham ! It just kinda fell into my lap. I was at Wegmans and saw this sign that said "Unadvertised special: all hams 99 cents a pound." Intrigued I took a closer look and saw that this sale included the knock-off honey baked hams. After a little talk with the butcher who assured me the meat was fine, just discounted, or maybe he said discontinued, I couldn't really understand him, I left the store with a $59 ham marked down to nine dollars.

Discontinued ham? Hell yeah !

On the first night we ate ham. And it was good.

On the second night, ShallowGal pan-fried slices of ham and served it with noodles and carrots. And it was good.


Served on her finest china

On the third night, ShallowGal made scrambled eggs in puff pastry from a recipe in her favorite cookbook

The ham is actually supposed to be hidden in the puff pastry
but SG was cooking while on the phone with Lolita Travelsalot
and wasn't paying attention to the recipe.


On the fourth night, ShallowGal planned to make her famous Monte cristos. Fact: ShallowGal makes the world's best Monte cristos. For real. If you're super-nice I'll post my recipe.

But Eli declared "no more yucky pink chicken." Jake announced he was becoming a vegetarian. Or maybe Kosher. Possibly both, whichever one excused him from eating anymore ham.

So instead we ate apple slices with peanut butter and yogurt. (1)

I have no clue what a pre-biotic is but I'm hoping it has some special anti-nitrate properties.


Noa who is actually the biological daughter of Ann Richardson and Dr. Robert Atkins happily ate cold slices of ham straight out of the fridge.

On the fifth night, PCSguy and ShallowGal snuck out for Japanese food, but not before instructing the sitter to please feed the kids anything she could find. Which would be ham.

On the sixth day, ShallowGal finally made the much ballyhooed Monte Cristos. And they were good.


ShallowGal may actually be a pseudonym for Martha Stewart

On the seventh day, the entire family was invited to a Super Bowl Party.

Now between you and me, I actually thought Linda was going to serve ham. I had bought her one, in exchange for a box of pull-ups. Such exciting transactions in suburbia, I tell you. But instead she had the most glorious catered spread. Fried chicken, meatballs, chili, beef tips, roast beef, fruit, brownies, cookies. Not a pork product in sight. My kids were beside themselves.

A blog about nothing. Hardly.



1) There are perks to PCSguy's busy travel schedule like the occasional dinner of apples with peanut butter. Also unlimited shower caps liberated from housekeeping carts.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I have to have the recipe for the Monte Cristo..... I must.... Please post it and how to make it.
thanks.
Kim