Sunday, November 11, 2007

Assvice all around

"Blogging Again? I hope this blog doesn't interfere with you doing other stuff."


Originally I had planned to try my hand today at Mommy Blogging. Lord knows I have enough material. But this snarky little quote as I sat at the computer really pissed me off.

It reminded me of a question that a loyal reader asked: How do you take your husband's ego down a notch without actually hurting his earning potential? It's an interesting question, and one that I honestly hadn't considered before. I'm a fairly bitchy straightforward kinda person, so there isn't a lot of chance to actually become uppity around me to begin with. But I can see how this could be an issue.

In the almost ten years since I left the workforce to be a stay-at-home mom, my husband's career has skyrocketed. I'm very proud of his success, and more importantly, relieved that he makes enough money to support all five of us. But sometimes I get just a teensy bit jealous.

Promotions and perks don't come with the SAHM package, so we need to look for our fulfillment elsewhere. It's been a long time since one of my kids said anything along the lines of "Hey mom, Thanks for birthing me, raising me, feeding me 3 squares a day, keeping me in clean laundry, driving me 100 miles a week . . . " Oh wait, it never happened. That's why it's so annoying when our significant others not only get to leave the house for 60 hours a week but actually get paid and thanked. Their egos get stroked on a daily basis and we're left hoarding out the remaining xanax until our next OBGYN appointment.

So here's my answer. Leave your husband's ego alone (or I can teach you my little smirk / eye-roll combination which pretty much deflates all pomposity) but work on improving your own. If the kids aren't going to thank you, and they aren't, you need something that brings you self-satisfaction (and not in the battery operated way.) Find your own hobby, something with totally nothing to do with your children. It doesn't have to be fancy or life altering. (Personally, I'd prefer it have nothing to do with scrap booking but it's your life.) It just has to bring you a little gratification. Me, I've decided to blog.

Back to our regularly scheduled blog defining crisis tomorrow. As always, feel free to e-mail me or leave your life altering questions in the comment section.

1 comment:

country mouse said...

I too know nothing about blog etiquitte. I can't even spell etiquette. And I'm too lazy to look it up. But back to my original idea--I know I'm probably not supposed to comment on posts that are more than a day or two old. But I'm rebellious like that.

I agree with you, getting a hobby is a great way to bolster the SAHM's ego. On-line affairs work well in that capacity too. heh heh