Tuesday, November 13, 2007

Best Food Blog

I hate to admit this out loud, but I never saw the big deal about Thanksgiving. Don't get me wrong, I have plenty to be thankful for and I'll happily sit around a table filled with food for hours and hours. And that parade with the giant balloons, well that's television at it's finest.

I guess the issue for me is I don't particularly like turkey or sweet potatoes or pumpkin pie so that basically leaves me with some soup and rolls. So being the ever thoughtful kind of gal I am, I am providing my perfect Thanksgiving menu. Here is *your* chance to change my mind about Thanksgiving !

I can be there by 1 and I'll bring the wine.


Appetizer: Since the turkey always takes like a full hour longer to cook than you think it will, something a little more substantial than cheese and crackers is in order. Red Pepper and Boursin Tarts are easy and can be made the day before. They're pretty yummy, better double the recipe.

Turkey: Printer-cartridge-salesman guy once read this article in the Wall Street Journal about something called a turducken. Basically some poor dude somewhere has to take a chicken and stuff it inside a duck and then shove that whole bugaboo inside a turkey. I know ! Like WTF? Since then PCSguy has been obsessed with having a turducken for Thanksgiving. So this is the year.(1) Please spring for the next day shipping, the thought of that baby sitting in a UPS truck all week gives me the heebie-jeebies.


Sides: I've tried out a bunch of different butternut squash lasagna over the years, and hands down the best one is by Giada De Laurentiis. Even my super-picky stepfather had thirds, and this way all the vegetarians and people skeeved out by the turducken have something fairly substantial.

Assorted steamed fresh vegetables.

Rolls

Dessert: Cookies. This just seems so obvious to me. You make like 6 kinds of cookies and people can nibble them all evening. Why do cookie swaps always happen after Thanksgiving but before Christmas? What power-that-be made that the rule?


Do you have a favorite Thanksgiving dish? I hate to sound like a broken record but this is what the comment section is for ! (2)This is *so* not what the Pilgrims wanted for us


Footnotes:

1. Being as you're cooking and all.
2. Or better yet, make it and bring it over.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

PCSGuy here weighing in.

I do not plan give up my crusade for a Thanksgiving Turducken (it should be capitalized). However, this year, I may expand my plea to other multiple-stuffed-animal delicacies.

A quick visit to the source of all accurate knowledge, Wikipedia, discusses a number of potentially wonderful Turducken alternatives:

* The Osturducken, an ostrich stuffed with turkey stuffed with duck stuffed with chicken.

* The Gurducken, where the external bird is a goose, which is stuffed with a turkey, then a duck, then a chicken. (although I think this could use bacon or some pork product)

* A Bustard which is a turkey stuffed with a goose, a pheasant, a chicken, a duck, a guinea fowl, a teal, a woodcock, a partridge, a plover, a lapwing, a quail, a thrush, a lark, an Ortolan Bunting and a Garden Warbler.

* Then there is the poor mans Turducken -- the Hotchken -- which is a chicken stuffed with hot dogs.

While I doubt Shallow Gal will agree to any of the above, a guy can dream.

The Jet Set Girls said...

Why not ask a guest to bring your least favorite dish to cook? Mine: mashed potatoes. Love them, hate making them. Everyone at my table expects them so...

Anonymous said...

ehh.. attractive ..